Hosted by Herman Miller to Discuss Leadership in Product Sustainability
On September 20-22nd, the Product Sustainability Round Table (PSRT), a group of select companies with leading product sustainability practices, gathered for its fall North American meeting. Hosted by PSRT member Herman Miller in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the meeting featured a tour of Herman Miller’s modern “GreenHouse” manufacturing facility and product showroom, as well as inspirational presentations from Herman Miller’s senior leaders:
- Ryan Anderson, Director, Product + Portfolio Strategy, provided insights on how the company has successfully embedded sustainability into its product innovation and design processes
- Mike Ramirez, Senior Vice President, People, Places, & Administration presented on the company’s leading corporate sustainability philosophy and initiatives
- Linda Brand, Executive Director of Herman Miller Cares, discussed the company’s impressive employee-led, grass roots community service program Herman Miller Cares
Participants also shared experience and lessons learned with each other on a variety of sustainability topics at the top of their agendas, including how they are:
- Addressing emerging sustainability trends, issues and requirements like circular economy, science-based targets, and the SEC’s Disclosure Effectiveness Initiative
- Embedding sustainable chemistry and proactive chemicals management solutions in their businesses
- Prioritizing hotspots and integrating these into their strategic planning processes
- Enabling “shared value” by embedding social considerations into product sustainability programs via social LCA, and aligning product goals with corporate social objectives
We look forward to bringing the member companies together at the next PSRT meeting which will be hosted by 3M in Bracknell, UK on October 25-27th.
About the PSRT
The PSRT is the premier community of practice in the product sustainability space. In this exclusive, cross-industry forum, members meet four times per year to share collective experiences and best practices, benchmark performance and tools, and deepen their understanding of product and organizational sustainability trends.
Members include: 3M, Amcor, BASF, Georgia-Pacific, Johnson & Johnson, Stanley Black & Decker, The Chemours Company, Whirlpool, United Technologies Corporation